ASHRAE Technology Awards, recognizes ASHRAE members who design and/or conceive innovative technological concepts that are proven through actual operating data. Awards are given for new and retrofit applications for several categories of buildings, industrial facilities and processes. Chapter award winners can be submitted into Regional competitions, and Regional winners are invited to compete for Society level Awards. Applications are judged with respect to energy efficiency, indoor air quality, innovation, operation & maintenance, cost effectiveness, environmental impact and quality of presentation.
Please remember, the project you are submitting must have been successfully operating for at least one year at the time of entry.
Society level award winners get written up in the ASHRAE Journal and honored at the Winter Conference.
Current Iowa Chapter Winners
2018 Iowa Chapter First Place Winner – Institutional Buildings – Lincoln Pearce
2018 Iowa Chapter First Place Winner – Commercial Buildings – Mark LaCroix and Jake Cunliffe
2018 Iowa Chapter First Place Winner – Health Care Facilities – Tyson Scheidecker
2018 Society Level – First Place Winner
Mark Hersch was our 2017 AHSRAE Iowa Technology Awards first place winner in the Commercial Buildings – Existing Category for his submission of the Market 1 Project. His submission then moved on to the Region VI level and the Society level where it also was a first-place winner in both competitions.
The Market 1 project is one of only seven Society Level first place winners for 2018 and competed with submissions from across the world. As a first place Society Level winner, design team members Holly Stevens and Mark Hersch and Building Owner, Justin Doyle were invited to the 2018 ASHRAE Winter Conference in Chicago to receive their award. The Market 1 project will also be featured in the July 2018 issue of the ASHRAE Journal.
Below are some highlights of the Market 1 project:
- Renovation of an existing historical factory and warehouse building into a commercial office building.
- Exterior envelope upgraded where allowed while maintaining the historical appearance of the building.
- Addition of a hybrid geothermal and air to air heat pump HVAC system.
- Addition of a photovoltaic system that has a total capacity of more than 200 KW.
- 95% of the interior lighting is LED. All interior and exterior lighting is on a lighting control system.
- Energy star score of 94.
- Site EUI that is over 60% lower than the baseline building (34.6 KBtu/SF/Year).
- Photovoltaic system produced over 200,000 KWH of electricity over a one year period which was enough to offset 36% of the building’s energy use.
You can read the entire Market 1 submission at the following link:
Congratulations to Mark and the entire Market 1 Team.
Previous Iowa Chapter Winners
2017 Iowa Chapter Winner
Mark Hersch – Market 1
2016 Iowa Chapter Winner
Lincoln Pearce – University of Iowa Football Performance Center
2015 Iowa Chapter Winner
Ryan LePera – Neal Smith Federal Building